Wednesday, June 30, 2010

His Two Front Teeth Wednesday

My youngest son is 7 years old......That wonderful age when there is nothing more pressing to do in the summertime or most anytime than torture your 8 y/o brother, play outside, swim, catch rabbits, go fishing, and infinite other things that young boys do....  My son is also at that age of losing teeth.  At this point his "two front teeth" which have long held on, bravely waiting out the two front teeth on the bottom and nearly another before finally deciding to come out.  They haven't made their "exit" yet.... However, I am positive that has more to do with my sons refusal to wiggle them, touch them, take a bite out of a hamburger, apple, or especially corn on the cob without cutting the offending morsel into small bite size pieces that he can carefully chew and swallow.  He also screams at the top of his lungs and runs like a cheetah with his tail on fire if I dare to reach for his mouth to try and pull them. 
He hasn't lost any teeth on top.  His top front have loosened considerably and scooted together.

I put my foot down and announced "Today Is The Day!"  His loose teeth are hanging at odd angles much like dueling swords and sometimes one will be sticking almost straight out like a woodpeckers bill. 

I am a firm dad as I never put up with any dis-respect, hatefulness, back-talk or other foolishness.  I'm the first one to keep them in line and have tried to teach them since they could talk, "Repect Doesn't Cost Anything".  "Please, Thank you, Yes Maam, Yes Sir", etc only take a moment out of your day but will add untold wealth to your life.    With all that being said, and my tough dad image to uphold, after laying down the law on the loose front teeth, I have decided to make him some chocolate chip cookies as a bonus. 

Yeah, yeah, I know I've got a soft spot 3 miles wide for my kids but I love chocolate chip cookies too and I have the bonus of posting something for the blog. Everybody wins........
The recipe is as follows:

GF Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (Bob's Red Mill)  We're working on pulling teeth here, no time for scratch...

1/2 cup Butter (room temperature)

1 egg or substitute

2 Tbsp water

Cookie sheet
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease cookie sheet or line with wax paper.  Place 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter in a large mixing bowl.  Cream with an electric mixer until soft.  Add egg and water.  Blend for 30 seconds to thoroughly combine.  Add cookie mix.  Blend on low speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.  Dough will look a little dry, but will combine when pressed together.

Shape into1.5" diameter balls.  Place 2 inches apart on sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges start to brown.  Let cool and enjoy!

I didn't have any egg to put in the recipe (of course) so I used an elderly banana I had lying around.  Never done it before but research abounds that it will work.

Butter & Banana puree'

Cookie Dough Mixed

Time to go in the oven.

My kitchen is filled with a very strong banana aroma at this point in the baking.  The smells and the sheer height of the cookies at this point in the baking have me questioning my substitutions.  The pics do not do justice here.  They are almost perfect circles.  It reminds me when I used to do construction work at the neighboring baby food factory.........You could always tell the food of the day or hour before you walked in the door, carrots, peas, bananas, apples, etc....

Cooling....


My boys, although they love bananas and cookies, didn't appreciate my GF Chocolate Chip / Banana cookies.  I personally like them.  They do not taste like traditional Chocolate Chip cookies but they are still good.  I'll have to sub a little oil and water next time.  Note: I don't know if my oven was having a bad day or what but the baking time was about 5 - 7 minutes longer than directed.  Maybe the banana or it could have been the first time using this mix? 

I stand corrected on the teeth by the way.....Although one is very close to coming out and wiggles around more than a two year old in a barber chair, it is still attached.  The next door neighbor is not ready either.  Oh well the cookies are made so I can't let them go to waste now can I???

No comments: