Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays! Spring Arugula w/ Linguine & Toasted Almonds

Whew!!  What a weekend!  I hope everyone had a great one.  I certainly did but seem to have misplaced my get-up and go somewhere along the way.  I ate a lot of good food, spent time with great friends and got a lot of things accomplished.  I did miss out on a couple of things but am looking forward to catching up on that in a few weeks. 

I spent part of the long weekend on the lake and soaked up all the sun possible while I was there.  It is quickly becoming that time of year in Oklahoma where the weather rapidly turns cooler and unpredictable for weekend plans.  If they forecast 90% chance of rain here it will likely be cloudy and dry whereas if you have a 20% chance, get ready for the monsoon.  I've always thought it would be great (and I'm not bashing here) to have a job reporting the weather.  It doesn't matter whether you are wrong or right you still get paid!!  All you have to say is "Wow!! We did not see this coming!!" and all is forgiven...:-)

This week's Tasty Tuesday! post is a favorite of mine and one I thought I should put up right away as it isn't spring any longer, (ie: Spring Arugula) summer is nearly gone and fall is almost here.  I love this dish but like many favorites, don't eat it often enough.  The recipe is as follows:

2 cups Arugula (washed & dried)

1/2 cup Almonds (sliced & toasted)

3 oz. Pecorino Romano cheese feather shredded

2 Tbsp green onions chopped

1 cup fresh Linguine

Cracked Pepper (to taste)

1 Tsp. Olive Oil

Add your olive oil to a hot saute' pan.  Add green onions and almonds, cook for two minutes. 

Homemade, fresh linguine.....Mmmmm!
I don't have a pasta roller at home but I've always wanted one. You can find them at restaurant supply vendors in your area. After this dish I think I'll see what I can do to add to the kitchen arsenal.


Poach linguine until al dente, add to pan.

Toss pasta in oil mix in pan, season with cheese.

Toss fresh arugula quickly but do not cook.

Swirl in pan & place in pasta bowl, top with almonds from pan and additional cheese.

Last but not least, finish with cracked pepper.

Arugula is one of those delicious additions to a meal that many people overlook.  It adds a wonderful flavor to pasta or any other dish as well as having super concentrations of vitamins B & C.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't take advantage of it in my meals often enough.  It was an incredible compliment to this meal.  The Pecorino cheese speaks for itself and toasted almonds topped it all off.  Pasta is one of my favorite meals, as is obvious to my waistline but I don't foresee giving it up anytime soon!  Enjoy!!

This post is part of the following blog carnivals.....Go check out these great sites!!

Mouthwatering Mondays
Two for Tuesdays
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Pennywise Platter Thursday

5 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Sounds delicious and packed with flavor and nutrition! Just the homemade pasta alone is enough to make this a craveable meal in my book. Thanks so much for sharing w/ t4t this week :)

Hunger and Thirst said...

This is a flavor combo that I love, and it only goes to prove that if you keep it simple and use the best ingredients, you meals will always shine. Thank you for sharing with Two for Tuesday.

a moderate life said...

Jay-man! So glad you had a fun weekend with your family! I am still trying to catch up as well! I LOOOOVE arugula SOOOO much and toss it into almost anything I eat! This recipe looks terrific and I am gonna try it. thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

Jason@JLHealth said...

Thank you for the kind words ladies....it is always a pleasure!

Jason

Christy said...

I love pasta, oh how I love pasta! This recipe looks heavenly - I have never added arugula to pasta - note to self - it goes together! Thanks for linking to Two for Tues!